Friday, February 17, 2012

Sorry to keep you waiting...


The last two weeks were very stressful. There were a lot of ups and downs, and a lot of uncertainty. I couldn't bring myself to write about it on here because it would have forced me to think even more about how stressful everything was. I think I was handling it pretty well, but I was definitely feeling off. I'm glad I won't have to go through that two weeks again. That being said, everything seems to be in order, and lots of things have happened. The week before last I observed classes with a school that teaches young learners, Wattsenglish. I loved the classes, and I felt like this would be a perfect job for me; I love working with children, and the staff of the school is very young and laid back. Most of the other teachers are American.

The same week I observed the classes, I had an interview at an enormous corporate language school. I did a demo lesson, and they offered me the job. It was Friday afternoon, and they wanted me to begin teaching on Monday. I would sign the contract at 8:30 AM on Monday and have my first class directly afterward. I was quickly approached by several course directors (quickly meaning they were all obviously in a hurry) who handed me business cards and piles of paperwork about the classes. I would be teaching at large corporations around Prague. My first classes were to be at Pepsi Cola and Kraft Foods. I was also informed that I had arrived at an odd time, as the teacher's resource area would be closed for renovation (during my first week of classes), and I would not have access to the library (which I would need to plan lessons and choose textbooks). I felt really overwhelmed and exhausted after the barrage of information, seeming lack of organization and complete nonexistence of an orientation or training. I had also heard not so great things about the school, but I felt pressured to accept the job because I know I need to start working on my visa and not all schools will help with it.

I was extremely exhausted after the interview on Friday. Meanwhile, I was still scheduled to cover some classes for Wattsenglish in the coming week. I knew they had offered a job to one of my fellow TEFL graduates, but I heard there was another possible position in a suburb. The night after my interview with the huge school, I could not sleep. I couldn't shake the feeling that I would be miserable working for this company. I was awake for most of the night, and early in the morning I determined that I would write to Wattsenglish and explain my situation - that I really wanted to work for them, that I knew I would be happy there, but that I was pressured by a looming deadline - Monday morning at 8:30 AM I would have to sign a contract with the other school. I was fervent and decisive in my email. I wanted this job, and I would hard-sell myself if that's what was necessary, but I needed an answer before Monday morning. It's something that puts me out of my comfort zone, but luckily it worked. I have started my visa process with Wattsenglish. I will definitely teach for them in Prague beginning in the summer, but I will work in a suburb for the next four months (a bit of a commute, but our travel expenses are covered).

This week I taught my first classes for the school. It's really fun but you never know what to expect. Some classes are very well behaved, but some are exactly the opposite. The very first class I taught was a group of four, three boys and a girl, 6-7 years old. They were hellions. The kids know that when they have a cover teacher, they can get away with a lot. They know I don't speak Czech, and they know that they will never have to see me again. They also know that even if I wanted to report them to their regular teachers, I can't. I can't speak or write in their language. If they want to misbehave, you are at their mercy. Despite the hazards, I love teaching. When I have my own classes that I see regularly, I can develop ways to deal with difficult children. It's just hard when you're filling in for someone else and don't know the kids at all. Plus, most classes are much better than the first one I had. Most of the kids are really good, and even when they aren't it's an adventure.

What else has happened?

We had a big snow one day, it was actually the day I was observing with Wattsenglish. It was the most snow Prague has seen so far this winter (not really that much, but it was very pretty).




I've spent many hours wandering the streets of Prague, sometimes sightseeing and sometimes searching for things (government offices, schools, a place to buy lightbulbs). A pretty good rule of thumb to follow when you're trying to accomplish anything in a foreign country with an extremely difficult language is to take the amount of time you think it will take and multiply it by ten. Also expect to receive plenty of dirty looks and impatience from government workers (and many other workers, for that matter). I also have a theory about how Europeans stay so thin... they have to go to a million different shops to procure basic items. Silly of me to think I could buy lightbulbs or ibuprofen at a supermarket. Seriously, though...walking and walking and walking is a part of life here. It's a totally different lifestyle than we have in the United States. When I was planning to move to Prague I was concerned about how to get exercise. Regular exercise is necessary for me (I get depressed and tired when I don't get enough), but I wasn't sure I would be able to afford a gym membership. Luckily, I don't even need one. I spend hours a day walking, and it's great. I have a few pretty pictures from a walk along the Vtalva (the main river that runs through Prague) earlier this week.








I also found a pretty church Wednesday during my wanderings. Prague is full of beautiful buildings, but this one stood out enough to warrant a photoshoot. It was kind of a gray day and the church was really backlit, so you can really just see the outline, but I like the picture anyway. It looks very moody. I took this picture while I was on a quest to find a journal. I had been very stressed out for the last couple of weeks, as I have already mentioned. I normally keep a journal, but since I started the blog I hadn't been using one. When I was walking around on Wednesday thinking about how I had been feeling so stressed out and how I wanted to write on my blog but I couldn't seem to, I realized I desperately needed a journal. Sometimes there are things I'm feeling and things that are going on that I don't necessarily want to write about on here. Hopefully, now that I'm writing those things in my journal, organizing my thoughts and feelings better and alleviating some of my stress, I won't have another period where I feel like I can't write on here. I know you all were wondering what was happening with me, and I apologize for my silence.




Life is good. It has been hard this past couple of weeks, but it's only proving to me more and more how this is something that I needed to do. I have been learning so much about myself since I got here. It's surviving those moments of uncertainty, insecurity and frustration that help me to gain confidence and become more sure of who I am. Starting from scratch, going somewhere that I don't know anyone, where my future is so uncertain... it's a crazy adventure, and I'm loving it - ups, downs, and all. The best coping mechanism is always a sense of humor. Yesterday Marissa and I wandered around Prague for hours trying to find a post office I had been to only days before, laughing at ourselves the whole time. I'm not the only one who has had a stressful couple of weeks, and it helps to laugh at our misadventures. And when we get tired laughing at ourselves, there are plenty of other things to laugh at. Take this for instance:



Yes, this woman is pushing a baby stroller, but in lieu of an actual baby, she has a poodle. The poodle is dressed warmly in a parka and wrapped in a blanket. As we ride the metro, she shares her lunch with her 'baby'. The mental picture I conjure of this woman shopping for a stroller for her dog is both hilarious and depressing. I would like to thank her for adding humor to my life.

Another cool thing that I've seen is the Young Artist's Museum. It's in old town, and it is housed in the old Czech Ceremonial Palace. The building is so interesting... it was obviously once extremely fancy and beautiful, but during the years of Communist occupation it fell into disrepair, and there were many changes that were made to it. The changes were made in the name of pure function, without any regard for the beauty or cultural integrity of the building. So, all of the parquet floors were ripped up and replaced with cheap linoleum. If function required, partitions were built and walls knocked down. The walls, which are covered with fancy fabric treatments rather than wallpaper, are now stained and ripped. Wiring and electrical outlets were added in random places. Many of the rooms have old chandeliers and gilt molding, which is now dirty and damaged. Rather than restore the building to its former glory, the museum has kept it in its current condition as a reminder of the recent history of the city. It makes for a really interesting space for displaying the artwork, which is pretty bizarre and avant garde. There are a lot of weird installations, and the setting adds something to it.

Next week I will finally meet with Jana, the owner of the language school who is interviewing me to teach her 15 year old daughter. Last week she was on holiday, and this week we couldn't come up with a good time when we could both meet. She has asked me to prepare a sample lesson plan. I hope I get the job. It would be exciting to have my first private student! Also, I will be moving into my new apartment soon. I am meeting with the owners of the flat in the morning so we can sign an accommodation document I need for my visa. I am excited to get settled into my new place, and to get to know my new flatmates better. I also found a jewelry studio in Prague that offers many classes, and I emailed the owner to see if I might be able to work on my jewelry there. She said she would be happy if I wanted to, and we can set up a time when I can come to see the studio. Hopefully once I am settled into my new flat I can get my Etsy site started and begin selling some jewelry online. I'm sure I will meet people at the studio that will give me some insider information on where to find the best beads and materials here as well.

So that's a brief overview of the past couple of weeks. I won't be absent for so long again, and will be sure to keep updating on future developments. For now, Na shledanou (Goodbye) : ).

No comments:

Post a Comment