Thursday, February 2, 2012

And, done!

Just a quick note to say that today was the last day of my course (for all intents and purposes). Half of the class still has to teach tomorrow but I had my last lesson this afternoon. It went well. The grammar test we had to take this morning went just OK, but all in all I think I did quite well during the course. At least well enough to pass, as we don't exactly get graded. I'll receive my TEFL certificate tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow morning we have the job fair, and in the afternoon I have an interview. I went through a lot of trouble to make a nice colorful CV (resume), and I wanted to have nice copies of it for the job fair and for my interviews (I have another on Monday). After class tonight I went to the copy place in the mall by where I live. I wanted to print the CV but I could not communicate with the person working there... she wouldn't even let me try. She just said "No English, Czech" and looked annoyed (even though I hadn't said a word to her yet).

Next I asked a friend if she knew where I could print something in color. She said she thought I could go to an internet cafe she knew of where the guy speaks English. I went to the cafe, but once there I found out that I would only be able to get black and white copies. I asked him if he knew of anywhere around that I could print something in color from my email, but this seemed to be a far more difficult prospect than I expected.

As an aside, I have been seeing ads in the metro for printers, and they always seem to be quite cheap. Since I will soon be teaching all over the city, and since I also need a printer for my jewelry, I had already planned on purchasing one.

Flash forward to now, plodding around Prague in single digit temperatures, searching for a way to print a simple document. The printer is sounding better and better. I resolve to go to Tesco and see what price range they had for printers. I got to Tesco twenty minutes before they closed and quickly browsed the printer selection, most of which were, happily, under $100. After comparing several Canon models I decided on one (they only had one left, and I got it). A good deal, I think, at $70 with the ink cartridges included. I came home and set it up. God bless Macs for being so awesome. The printer came with two different discs and long instructions on how to install the software (which was outdated for my operating system). Luckily all I had to do was plug in the USB cord and my computer automatically asked me if I wanted to search for and download the necessary software from the internet. 8 minutes later, I'm printing off resumes. Life is good.






No comments:

Post a Comment