Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Moving Day(s)

It's finally time to move from the apartment I've been in for the last two months to my new apartment, where I will be able to get settled in and stay a while. I will be working on moving over the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to the being moved in part, but I never look forward to moving. It's always a pain. Luckily, I haven't amassed too much stuff here yet, so it shouldn't take too many trips on the bus to transport all of my belongings to the new flat. My new place is only one bus stop away, which also makes moving simpler. The only difficult part is the enormous hill I have to climb to get to my current apartment - it won't be fun running up and down that with a big suitcase. On the bright side, after I finish moving I will never have to climb that hill again!

This has been an eventful week even though it is only halfway over. I had my first class with Anezka last night, which was fun. Her English level is much higher than I thought it would be, and she is very smart! She wants to work on preparing for the Cambridge First Certificate, so I have acquired some books and materials on that exam for our future lessons. Today I signed my temporary contract with Wattsenglish (I can't sign an official one until my visa goes through). Then I observed/co-taught some more classes with their senior teacher, Suzanne. Suzanne is from Wisconsin, and is really awesome. We met another one of the Watts teachers, Stephanie, at a cafe for lunch. All of the people I've met who work at Wattsenglish so far are great.

In the evening, I had an interview and demonstration lesson for another private student, Alice. She is six years old. Her father is a University Professor of Economics, and he has the opportunity to travel a lot to teach or do research. The family lived in California for two years while Alice was in kindergarten, so she can already speak English. Her mother is interested in improving her reading skills and pronunciation, and also having art classes - perfect for me! Our lesson went really well tonight - we read a fairytale and then made origami related to the subject of the story. Alice really liked me, and when I said I would come back next Wednesday, she said "Sooner, Sooner! I want you to come as much as you can!"

Another thing I did today was file with the IRS for an EIN number (Employer Identification Number). I also applied for a business checking account. If I want to get serious about selling jewelry, I need to do it right. I picked up some beautiful handmade papers at a craft store to use as backgrounds for pictures. I am looking for a few more props, then I plan to have a photo-shoot of the jewelry I already have made. Marissa has generously offered to let me borrow her camera to take pictures. It's a lot of work, but hopefully I will be able to make a little bit of money selling on Etsy. I'll be sure to post a link to my store once I have it set up. For now, I am going to sleep. It has been a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment