Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday the 13th!!!!

I can't believe April is almost halfway over already. That is crazy, folks. Crazy.

Guess what I just saw outside my apartment? A hedgehog. A real, live hedgehog. I thought maybe those things only lived in Australia or something! It's night time, and I was walking down the sidewalk. I was almost to the door of my building when I saw a dark shape scuttling (that's what I would describe it as, scuttling) across the sidewalk and into the landscaping. I was very curious as to what this creature could be, so I followed it into someone's little garden. Did you know that hedgehogs play dead? Me neither. But now I do. I got right up to it, and I was carrying a pair of running shoes I had just purchased. I poked it with the shoes. Nothing. I poked it some more. Nothing. I even turned that thing all the way around so I could try to see its face, but I think it was covering it. I wanted to see it scuttle some more, so I retreated and sat down on the sidewalk, just watching it. For a while, it stayed dead, but then I started to see it moving a little. Finally, it scuttled along on its way. I wish I could have gotten some pictures of the little guy, but it was pretty dark. I know better than to try to snap pictures of the local wildlife at night with my iPod after my failed attempt at photographing one of the "Easter bunnies" that hang out in the park by my apartment. Here's how it turned out: 


That blob by the pole is a rabbit, I swear.

Let's see, what other new and exciting things are going on in my life? Well, like I said... I bought a pair of running shoes. I have decided that I need more exercise. Although I really hate jogging, it's also free, and the weather is nice, so I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe I'll like jogging now, who knows? I haven't really tried it in a while.

I do this thing with olives... I don't like them, but I wish I did. So, I try the things every so often, hoping one of these days I will all of the sudden take a shining to them. Maybe somewhere inside of me there's an olive-loving jogger just waiting to come out.

I taught in Mlada Boleslav yesterday and today. I like my classes there. Misa, the owner of the MB franchise is so nice, and my "roommate" in Mlada Boleslav, Amy, is also really cool. Yesterday, I got an offer to teach three new classes in Prague beginning in May. They are for the school that's owned by Jana, my 15 year-old student Anezka's mom. Their American teacher is going back to the US, so they need someone to take over these classes. It's amazing that they ended up fitting into my schedule... it's like they were a little puzzle piece that just fit right in there. That makes me happy, as I am needing to make some extra cash :). Little by little, my schedule is filling up nicely here. 

I'm still plugging along at working on the jewelry thing. I've ordered some metals that I need to do silversmithing stuff, and I'm waiting on that to get here. Meanwhile, I'm working on some other projects, but working slowly. I'm finding it hard to stay motivated, which is why I think I need more exercise. When I don't get enough exercise I don't have very much energy, and I end up sleeping all the time. I absolutely love sleeping, but time wasting is a bummer.

Another new thing is that I've started teaching myself five or more Czech words or phrases each day. It's nice to see myself making some progress! Last night, I was looking around at the Potraviny (like the Czech version of Bodega) in Mlada Boleslav. The lady asked me if I needed anything, and I told her "I'm just looking around" in Czech. I'll be fluent in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment