Saturday, September 8, 2012

Italia, Day 8: Siena to San Gimignano to Firenze

I had been debating whether I wanted to spend Monday in Siena or try to see another town en route to Florence. On Wilmer's advice, I decided to spend the day in San Gimignano and head to Florence from there. I took an early bus to San Gimignano, a small medieval walled city. It is known as "La Cittá delle Belle Torri" - The City of the Beautiful Towers. There once were 72 tower-houses, of which 14 now stand. You can climb the tallest of the towers, Torre Grossa, which is 54 meters tall and offers great views from the top.






























Just to prove I was really there...

I know I keep talking about churches and frescoes, but the frescoes at the Collegiate Church in San Gimignano are really exquisite. They depict scenes from the Old and New Testaments and The Last Judgement. The scenes are painted in bright pastel hues that remind me of fairytale books for children. Of course, there are no pictures allowed, but even postcards of the frescoes didn't do them any justice. I liked them so much that I bought a little booklet with reproductions and descriptions of all the Old and New Testament depictions. Here are a couple pictures I found online:


Creation of Adam


Parting of the Red Sea

San Gimignano, while a great stop in Tuscany and a great example of medieval architecture, is also quite touristy. Every building seems to house a souvenir shop or cafe aimed at visitors. Also, the main squares were filled with tents, tables and booths filled with all types of items for sale. I bought some nice dried fruit for a snack. Later I sat down at one of the cafes and had a Caprese salad - greens with fresh tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella.


I stayed in San Gimignano until evening, then took a bus to a connecting station, where I caught another bus to Firenze (Florence). In a further bout with Italian public transportation, I (surprise!) lost, and ended up missing my stop, then having to take another bus to the square nearest Francesco's house. There, I waited for my new host to pick me up in his car. After Francesco arrived, we drove to his family's house. The house is only about 10 minutes from the city center, but it feels like you are far out in the countryside. The house is on the grounds of a huge old estate, in a building with medieval foundations that was probably one of the servants' quarters. It is on a hill, and the view is so amazing. On another hill opposite there is a huge monastery, which at night is brightly lit and such a beautiful sight. The inside of the house is equally beautiful, very tastefully decorated, and Francesco's parents have very good taste in art. There's also a terrace with more great views. I slept in the loft above Francesco's room in the tower!


Francesco's house would be right behind me in this picture. 
The monastery is on the left - so pretty!

That first night, when I arrived, I met Francesco's dad and mama, his brother Claudio, and Claudio's girlfriend Eva from Holland. Everyone was so nice! Francesco, Claudio, Eva and I all went out to dinner at a really great restaurant where they knew everyone. It had outdoor seating, and delicious food. We had a traditional Tuscan appetizer, fried bread that you spread soft cheese on and top with thinly sliced local ham. That was really good, and we also had another type of cheese with bread and then some excellent pizza. We also had some great conversation, which would continue throughout my stay. Francesco and Claudio are great, and I immediately liked Eva, who is super sweet as well as very pretty and smart. I just realized that my stay at Francesco's was only the second occasion since I left home that I've spent much time with a family (the other being when I showed the Ziskas around Prague). There is something so comforting about a family, even when it's not mine. I went to bed the first night in Florence thoroughly exhausted but happy.


Francesco, Claudio, Eva and I

No comments:

Post a Comment