Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I have so much to write about, but it's too hard to find time to do it! I thought I would be able to write about my travels during my down time at summer camp - little did I know that "down time" doesn't actually exist at summer camp. At least not at this one, as it is a residential camp, meaning it runs from Sunday to Saturday and the kids live at the camp with us (we are four teachers, of which I am the only native English speaker.) We are living in a run-down hotel in a town called Dolní Dvůr which was purchased by my language school. The food is terrible and the ceiling in my classroom is leaking.

Despite these facts, I am having a pretty great time. I like the Czech teachers very much and all of the kids are great too. We are in the Krkonoše Mountains, which are very beautiful. We get to spend a lot of time outside in the woods, hiking and playing games. Yesterday we took the children on a 5km hike from our hotel to the nearest town, where they got to do some souvenir shopping. I took a lot of pictures along the way, which I will share with you now. I'm sure you know I have many pictures from my trip to Oslo, Copenhagen and Paris, but they will have to wait until I have enough time to write about them.






























In further news, I have decided to take a trip to Italy next month. I have a two week break from summer camps, and I have purchased a round-trip plane ticket from Prague to Milan. From Milan, I will take a train to Rome, then back up to Tuscany, where I will spend the rest of the trip. In preparation for this trip I am reading Goethe's Italian Journey, about his adventures in Italy beginning in 1786. I'm hoping to get some inspiration from the book on places to see while I am there.

I know I will have more time for writing after I return to Prague, which will be July 15. I will still be teaching at summer camps there, but they will not be residential camps, so I will be done and able to return home at 5pm - also I will have weekends off. I know I will need it - we don't get very much sleep here in Dolní Dvůr!


No comments:

Post a Comment